Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Disaster Proof

Again, I apologize for the infrequency of the posts. It’s been a rough couple of weeks. You go from the extreme highs of the Phillies finally winning the World Series, to having two people close to me pass away. One being my grandmother. Four straight days of doing nothing but going to viewings, funerals and burials exhausts you to no end. I don’t intend on making this a depressing post, so on with the news.

I’ve ran into a wall with leveling. This happens usually at around this point every hundred levels or so. I get to 1570, 1675 and now 1783 and I haven’t leveled in days. There’s about 12-13 skills where I am under needing 100,000xp in, and I just can’t pull the trigger. I’ve been more interested in my daily chores, farming runs, hunting pingu, mining stars, etc. I’ve been getting xp all around, just haven’t seen fireworks in a bit. That usually happens throughout the week, then a few hours on the weekend is when I usually level. I have nothing planned this weekend, and I’m keeping it that way. For the first time in about a month, I’m going to get cozy with the laptop, a few movies and just chill.

I have been knocking out quests here and there though. I believe I have 20 left. They all seem to be the ones that when you ask people to join, they respond “oh man, I did that one already, its terrible. Good luck!” These being Path of Glouphire, Mournings End Pt2, etc. I just keep thinking, “If I can get through Ratcatchers, I can get through this.” I finished Darkness of Hallowvale and Legacy of Seergaze. I firmly believe that Meiyerditch really needs a new mayor and a community makeover.

This brings up one of my favorite things about Runescape. I have messed up countless times on quests, minigames and just gameplay overall. Runescape is VERY forgiving. I have played games in the past, that when you lose a certain item, its just gone forever. Here we can always get that item back. I’m not talking about dying and having to buy a replacement Glory, I’m focusing mainly on quest items. I’ve played games where when doing tasks, if you mess up or choose the wrong decision, you have to live with it and sometimes that certain task can never be completed. Here, all you have to do is talk to a certain character again. Maybe it seems that RS is geared to a younger crowd, or maybe it just wants to make itself more friendly towards casual gamers, either way it’s a fantastic feature. If I had trudged all the ways through the rooftops of Meiyerditch and then found out I couldn’t complete the quest because I chose the wrong dialogue in Hallowvale, I’d be pretty upset and turned off of the game.

Sure we die and lose items. Most of which can be bought back (they might be super expensive, but its possible), but it seems nothing untradeable, which you would need for a quest, can’t be replaced by merely talking to a NPC. This is also helpful because the war on bankspace is always an uphill battle. Keep the things you might need for clues, teleports, etc, but I went through a mass cleaning and wiped out all the old quest items that I don’t use. Although I did keep the ones I like. No way am I dropping my Blurite Sword, I don’t think you can get that thing back unless they come up with another use for it.

The game allows progress, and for you to progress at your own pace. You’re not locked into classes, servers, etc. You’re not penalized for typing errors, like the text based PC games of the 80s. “Turn door handle,” “Open door,” “Push Door” all met with “You can not perform that action at this time” and frustration before you figured out it was “Press door.” It is a simple game. Yes all you do is click a mouse. But the same goes for every computer game. You’re not actually having a swordfight with someone, you’re using keys and buttons to do so. Simple isn’t always bad. I always hear people complaining about the game needing to be more complex. I’d just rather have an in-depth story line, with the option of performing whatever you want to do at any given time. RS allows that. I like the back story and the details of the quests, but some times I just want to chat and mine some ores.

That’s pretty much all I have for now. I hope you’re gearing up for the grandmaster quest! I’ll be back soon with some updates. Thanks! Happy Veteran's Day!

2 comments:

Jax said...

G-

The government of Meiyerditch needs to be replaced by folks who believe in roads that go through and break down some of the divisiveness in their town.

If you need help with any of those quests let me know. It'd be great if you got your cape before the grandmaster quest comes out.

I agree that RS is very forgiving. And they actually do a pretty good job of giving instructions. Which is why I'm so often shocked by how people don't read he updates and then scream for help like there's nothing they can do until I come by and "fix it" for them.

G said...

I'm convinced that about 10% read the updates. That's being generous. At least 1 time per star people ask what it is. Which is mind blowing because they've been out for how long now?

Thanks for the help offer, I might take you up on it. I'd love more than anything to finish the quests before the new one comes out. I don't even really care about the cape. I want to get them done to get access to what they give. I did Back to my Roots to get the Jade Vine, I really want to do As A First Resort to get access to the pools, etc. I want to get them all done so I will be able to get anywhere in the game and be able to use everything possible. Its serving as good motivation, which is what I need.

Thanks again Jax!