Monday, January 19, 2009

Pain in the Adze

It took me roughly a month and a half, but I finally got to 92 Firemaking from 74. The xp flies by when you’re used to Runecrafting, Woodcutting, Fishing and other slow xp skills. I went on to get my Inferno Adze from the All Fired Up minigame and let me just say, it’s a lot more difficult than some guides make it out to be. I had already done the requirements for the first 10, so I figured the additional 4 wouldn’t be such a big deal. I went around to loading them all up, ended up dying twice, once at each the one near the temple in the Wilderness and the other on the Frozen Plateau (is that what its called? Near the Wildy Agility course). Realized then that even when you get back to your grave in time, you automatically lose the Fire Ring and Fire Gloves. I went around to lighting them and I wasn’t quick enough. I used Maples and thought I’d have plenty of time being that Runescape Wiki states that you can do it in about 9 minutes. Perhaps I’m just slow.

I got my Fire Ring and Gloves back but had to do it all again. Died again in the deep wildy, losing the ring & gloves again. Will I never learn? This time I just really wanted it so I actually broke down and bought some Magic Logs. Normally, I’d just go get them myself, but I just wanted this over with. I bought 200 of them and just used them for the first 8 beacons and used my stock of Maples for the remainder. Died lighting them, but managed to get them lit. Got my Adze, finally, but it kills me that I missed out on so much xp by not having the gloves & ring when lighting. If you take anything from this, just know to put them in the bank while filling the beacons and only wear when you’re ready to go on lighting them. I’m super protective of the Adze knowing that I lose it when I die and I don’t want to go through that again. If the Wildy stars come, I might just take a Rune Pickaxe instead.

I didn’t realize how competitive Hiscores is. In the past week I’ve gotten 6 levels, yet have moved up 409 spots. Its almost as if every level has me just barely clinging to the inside 50,000 mark.

I feel like I’ve only been Firemaking lately so I wanted to get a few levels in other things yesterday. I got about 120 tears which led me very close to a Herblore level. I really need to train this more as I’m sick of my tears going to that when they would be better suited saving me money on Construction or just time Runecrafting. I had 14 Gorak claws in the bank so I stopped over to the Cosmic Being’s place to pick some Starflowers. That was enough to get me to 64 Herblore. This leaves me at just an Herb and a Con level from 65+.

I was also close to a Slayer level so I grabbed my Bones to Peaches runes and headed down to Hellhounds. Sunday must be Slayer day because I had to hop worlds a disgusting amount of time. Got my level, got a clue then got out of there before finishing my task. I have to go back, but Hellhounds can be incredibly boring if you don’t break it up by doing a clue when you get one. 5 Rune Platebodies, Rune Axe and 50 Nature Runes. Whatever, I’ll take it. No puzzleboxes, 1 Wildy location, no co-ordinates, not bad for about 10 minutes of teleports.

I did some quests. Did As a First Resort and with the unlimited run, decided it was a good time to bang out Between a Rock… After that I completed Elemental Workshop II, all were relatively easy and I really liked the puzzle pool thing in As a First Resort. I have no reason for not completing these quests earlier. This leaves me with… 12(?) quests left to go. I need to do the Phoenix one as well as I’m all for daily xp rewards.

As a First Resort’s Hunting xp reward got me close to a level so I decided to set out on my first trip to get Red Chins. That didn’t last too long at all. Every world had a lot of people competing for a spot. When I finally got one (after about 30 hops), I saw how slow they were. Lots of clicking, very few catches and slow xp. I decided I had enough and went to Red Salamanders where I leveled within about 15 minutes.

Not sure what to work on next. Tonight I’ll go pingu hunting. I like to do this at the last possible time I can in the week. I can’t play on Tuesday nights so this leaves Mondays. The reason being is that I like to see how many of these little things I can stumble upon while just playing. The sound is pretty distinctive so they’re easy to find if you’re near one. I’ve gotten 4 this week and some weeks I get the majority just doing stars, farming runs, etc. It saves time when you go out to look for them, only needing a few and, to be honest, its kind of fun just randomly finding one.

The Eagles bowed down to The Buzzsaw that is the Arizona Cardinals yesterday. What can I say, they were just outplayed. Good luck to them in the Super Bowl. Pitchers and catchers report in 27 days. Bring on the warm weather and the Fightins!

3 comments:

Jax said...

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Adze. I'll keep that in mind when I go to do mine.

And hurry up with that quest cape. At least do the Phoenix one, shouldn't take you more then 5 minutes from start to finish (and it gives 14k firemaking but you don't need that now).

Go Cardinals. Can't wait for March Madness..........

Vaskor said...

Congratulations on getting the Adze! It sounds like you had a lot of fun with this challenging task.

Magic logs, goblin village teleport sphere, Ooglog's pool and a practice walk did the trick for me :-)

G said...

Jax - I know! :) I have no excuse for not doing it yet. I read everyone's blogs and they're all talking about how much they love it and I'm... gah. I'll do it when I next log in (tomorrow).

I can't wait for March either. Bring on the college hoops right into baseball season..

Vaskor - Thanks! Those are things I definitely wish I had prior to the task. I'm an idiot for waiting so long to do that As a First Resort quest.