Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bring on the Games!

Got my Quest Cape last Friday. I was never a big fan of questing, but WGS was pretty interesting. Also, no death, which is always welcome. I never claimed my xp reward and probably won’t for a while. The only thing that has me torn about it is the fact that there’s a cutscene preview of upcoming quests and I really want to see it, but to see it you need to claim your xp. There’s just not one skill I’m focusing on at the moment, but maybe with new releases or whatever there’ll be something I really want to get to, so for now, it can just wait. Its kind of good to know you have 400kxp in the bank.

Sunday was another awesome game of skill only Stealing Creations. I think there was a game that was only 12 minutes at one point, but I could be wrong.

I didn’t realize it until it was too late, but I definitely forgot to do penguins and I hate myself for it. Not only for the xp, but I actually kind of enjoy it. Also, it was the fact that when I realized it, I was only an hour too late and I had basically spent that time just clearing out bankspace.

I’m loving the Q&A with the company on the forums. I never grasped why people love to hate Jagex. They created something awesome, but for every update there’s someone reacting as if it ruined their lives. The game is fluid, we can adjust. They seem very candid and honest in their responses, while still being able to withhold information that they should. That information being upcoming plot lines, quest details, etc. You don’t see an author come out and say “the book ends like this…”, you need to have some things kept secret. I loved that they addressed the dragon pickaxe issue by saying they’re coming out with it, but are just figuring out a decent way to do it. I get that. You don’t want to release something people have been begging for directly for sale in a general store. You want to wow people and make you feel like you earned it. I’d love to see it released in a quest/mini-quest involving the star sprites since they’ve become such a big part of the Mining skill. Maybe deal with their origin or whatever. I also like that they not too subtly called out their mistakes. Its not the exact words, but it was along the lines of “do you really want another Firemaking skill?” Ouch. To my view, it pretty much calls out Firemaking on sucking and not really useful. Which, I think, is true. But the cape is orange, which makes it kind of awesome.

I hope this becomes a regular thing. A little bit of effort goes a long way. Even when people had suggestions that they shot down, they came up with pretty good reasons. The “yeah, we thought of that but just couldn’t figure out a way to execute it properly because of x, y and z” at least shows the player that they are in fact, trying these things out. And a few times, it makes perfect sense. Lag vs an unresponsive player? I get that too.

The reasoning behind Stealing Creations not giving skill xp cleared so much up for me. It makes sense. It *does* give xp basically, its just not given on the completion of the game directly. it’s the bonus xp you get from using their tools, which still makes you go out and actually do the skill. it’s a motivator to both play the minigame and actually go out and train that skill. Brilliant!

They hinted at a “Runescape Olympics” and it looks like they gave us just that with the Jagex Cup. Its on the forums under clans. I can not wait for this. I’m crossing my fingers our clan can enter all 3 things. However, we are kind of on the small side, spread out in a million different time zones, and the fact that I’ve never seen 20 people online at the same time is kind of an issue. We do our monthly in-clan skill months, but honestly, there’s only me and a handful of others (5 tops) that actually care or do it. I want to do the skilling one, just hope that others do too. I’d help out at the combo one, not saying how good I’d be at it and I’d probably be terrible at the combat one. I can be there for the sake of being an extra body, but will probably be dead before I know how to react. It starts shortly after 3/23 and I’m trying to figure out if that means they hate college basketball or not.

1 comment:

Jax said...

Woot!! Go G-man on your quest cape. Very smart of you waiting to use your XP. I grabbed mine greedily and burned through it. Don't forget to do the little minigame afterwards to get your magic logs and coal.

Totally agree with you on the next "open and honest" Jagex. Happy to see it. It's amazing to me that no matter what happens there is so much WHINING!!

As for the Jagex Cup....the skilling one is the one I'd be interested in. Simply because your entire clan doesn't have to be online so it's not a huge nightmare to coordinate.

See you Sunday at SC.