Tuesday, August 19, 2008

There Will Be Blood ...Runes

There’s been some recent updates and some interesting future updates I feel that I should at least touch on. The Runecrafting Guild has opened with its new mini-game. I loved the freeing up of bankspace by combining all talismans (talismen?) into one Omni Talisman. However, it was really annoying that I didn’t have a complete set, would buy some on GE and still not get the talisman. I couldn’t figure out which one I needed (I really wish the wizard would tell you “I just need these remaining:______ to make your talisman” or something like that. Minor point, but still annoyed me.

The minigame is interesting. Its an interesting way to train RC, although its really not a lot of xp. I got excited that the robes you can purchase with your points gave up to a +8 RC bonus, but was disappointed that they are only used for the mini-game and not for actual RC. I do love the Astral teles, making it super easy to switch to Lunars, a skillers dream. It took me a couple rounds to finally get the hang of it, but when I did it was fun. However, it quickly became corrupted (sadly like many of the mini-games) where friends would join both teams, and would take turns winning and losing. The few times I played that were a fair fight, it was fun. I just can’t get on board with the 1919 Chicago Black Sox mentality and throw games. Its just not fun. I just wish you could exchange points in for xp, like Vinesweeper. I guess it’s a good, fun way to obtain Pure Ess though.

I think it’s a good idea overall. RC is one of the hardest skills to level in and I have a lot of respect for those who trained it so hard. It’s good to see that they’re trying to make it more interesting. I was a little late to start taking my RC level seriously and I feel like I really missed out on some good xp by using runners at the Air Altar. 2k and noted ess lasted me only a couple tries before the limit kicked in. I don’t do it to make money, it just would have been easy getting those early levels up. I mainly use RC to do just that – craft the runes I need. The thought of never having to buy Nats or Laws is comforting to me. Plus, a little extra profit from alching never hurt anyone :)

The future PvP updates… Wow. Not sure I’m really going into new territory, everyone seems to throw their two cents in for that. I was never into the whole PK aspect of the game. I always associated it with trying to lure inexperienced players into a place where they can get ransacked by 10 people and take all their stuff and claim it as a legitimate way of making money. It was never a fair fight and don’t think it ever will be. I never really understood pures who would limit themselves so much on a game either. Complaining about needing to do a quest, but then upset about getting xp as a reward from it.

Maybe its different. Maybe I have a limited field of knowledge about it. I’m happy that those who have complained and threatened to quit repeatedly have a place to go, although I’m sure it will still come with numerous complaints. I’ll also be glad that its only in certain worlds, and entire certain worlds. The idea of death battles going on in Lumby is definitely entertaining and maybe there’ll be an ‘observe’ option.

I normally don’t like to write about the updates of the game. It seems there are a lot others out there who do it a lot better than I do, and I’m not really into turning this into a reference site. I more want it to be a place I can write what I think about it, hopefully instigating some interesting conversations. These two updates just seemed to be a bit too big for that matter.

As for me, I just got my 73 Smithing! Good bye Dwarf Stouts! Look out Avansies, I’m coming for ya!

No comments: