Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Here & There

A slow weekend and two sick days from work led to me getting a bunch a levels I was close to:
76 Hunting
79 Construction
90 Defense (with this came 126 cb)
78-79-80 Summoning

I went to partake in running some laps at ape atoll for agility when I discovered my ninja greegree is missing. Great... Oh well, so much for that. I don't feel like getting it back just yet.

I still hate hunting. Since I eventually want to work on my range, I've been hunting chins. It's always crowded and people always seem to be obnoxious.

Made a solo run at Graardor yesterday, just got one kill of him and the minions before I left. Got a clue scroll from the general himself. I wonder what that has in store for me.

On another note, a friend of mine who I talked to a lot for some years now (not on runescape, but on another site) passed away suddenly at a young age the other day. I knew she had been sick and in the hospital, but never to a fatal extent. It's weird, you can type with people on a daily basis, maybe even talk via skype, but there's this weird social stigma attached to caring for people you haven't physically come in contact with. These *are* relationships. If you talk to someone daily for years, you are going to develop a friendship with them.

Losses like these are hard to deal with. Who can you even talk to about them? Your friends in real life might not get it. You might not have known anyone else that knows you in common to talk about it. Its rough and difficult to deal with.

Its weird because you're not actually a 'friend.' You don't get the phone calls or the updates. You only find out by wandering over to their facebook page to see if they posted anything new and all you see are comments like "you will be missed" and "RIP" and about how much you meant to everyone.

The friendships we form online are very real. There are real people behind each sentence and fun conversations had together. In these times, email, the internet, texts, all very impersonable forms of communication are ingrained into our heads, especially for those who are younger. These are very common ways to communicate and form these friendships. It does make me wonder what happens to the ones that we lose contact with. I try to imagine that they're doing what they like best. Hearing news like this though, makes it no easier to deal with than had it been a friend in real life. And life is a lot shorter than you think it is.

3 comments:

Massecure360 said...

Makes me wonder what all my friends I've met on Runescape over the years that haven't logged on in a while are up to... Sorry to hear about your loss. Wether its real life or not, its still tragic.

Ron P said...

Oh, Massecure360, it is real life. Just because you interact with someone on a game, it is still real life, much like someone you only see at your daughter's soccer games for example.

I too am sorry to hear about your real loss. I have friends on RS that I would miss very much if they left the game for any reason but especially through death.

G said...

Thanks for the thoughts, it means a lot :)