Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Quests!

Ok, so after a long, defeated delay, I started doing the circus again. I did it for probably the first 4 weeks it came out, would get like 200xp each and I gave it up. It wasn’t worth my time. I did it last Tuesday on the turn, so I did it, then an hour later it reset and I did it again. I got much better xp than I ever did originally, mainly because I read up on how to do it. It is the fastest xp you can get in any of the 3 skills (range, mage, agility), but I can’t get into it. I’ll probably add it to my weekly errands, but blah, it just seems kind of boring. I can see the intentions, and I have to hand it to Jagex for trying to come up with something interesting, but its just not my thing. Its like Bork & Jade vine, great rewards, but just can’t bring myself to do it regularly.

Anyways, that put me about 70k from 83 Ranged. I had about 500 chins from hunting so I decided to go to Ape Atoll and give this chinning a try. I had never done it before. It took a little bit to get used to, and I’m sure I did it wrong for a bit. Super fast xp though. Which is good, because Range has always been a skill that’s like pulling teeth to level for me. It just seems so slow. I know I should train it with Slayer, but I’m halfway through a Waterfiend task, and they aren’t really good to range on. That’s my problem with Slayer, on the rare occasion I’m motivated to train a certain attack style, it gives me a task where I can’t do it. I’m too stubborn to cancel the task as well. The chins got me to about 30k from the level. From there, I went to black drags at evil chicken’s lair and got the level there. Yay.

I don’t know what came over me. After getting the Ranged level, I figured I hadn’t punished myself enough, so I might as well quest. My hating of quests isn’t something I keep a secret. I do them mainly to get them over with, as well as get the rewards. It’s like running virtual errands. “In order to access that super fun area you really want to go, first you need to hop through hoops A, B &C, fill out an hour of paperwork, stand on one leg for an hour, then wear a ridiculous outfit and run laps around Varrock.” That’s how I feel.

That said, my hatred of quests has led me to doing most of them. I had a quest cape last year and have been lazy about keeping current on the new ones. I finally just said screw it, and did Fur & Seek, Within the Light, Curse of Arrav and Temple at Senntisten. Only the Nomad remains. Can’t wait for that one (sarcasm). They were all kind of ‘meh.’ At least I can use curses now. I only really want to do the nomad quest for the 70 zeal points and Soul Wars cape. +11 pray? *drools*

Wow, this is sounding like a really negative post. I’m actually thrilled with the fact that I accomplished so much stuff I don’t normally like doing so I mean it to be positive! Especially the quests. Motivation to quest comes in small doses which are very few and far between, so when it strikes, I really need to run with it.

I’ll take a shot at Nomad this weekend probably, see what all the fuss is about. It seems everyone I know has just been dying for a week straight at Soul Wars.

Ohh update just happened. They took the +4 str bonus away from the torso. I’m going to watch the ensuing firestorm now…

2 comments:

Jasmine said...

Oh, the circus is definitely the best Distraction/Diversion. What's great is that it's just insanely quick--you can do it in minutes and get 22k magic/9k agil/15k ranged or roundabouts. It's awesome.

I can't share your attitude on quests, though. Sure, some quests kind of suck. You had Rat Catchers, which was pretty much hell. You had In Aid of the Myreque..."Forgot your random item? Whoops! Better cross the entire Mort Myre Swamp to get another!"

But then you also have quests like Within the Light or Temple at Senntisten that make very few annoying demands of you--no fetching random hammers or anything, they just set you loose to solve the important parts of the quest: puzzles and boss battles. Kind of like The Legend of Zelda, only Runescape, y'know?

G said...

Tro, I definitely get what you're saying. I wish I could share your enthusiasm towards quests. I've tried really hard, I just can't get into it. I don't know what it is.

Ugh, Rat Catchers... *shudders* I hate parts of the game that require 'sneaking.' Rat Catchers, gout weed, thieving garden, etc. It frustrates the heck out of me.

What gets me is that I LOVE zelda. For somereason the questing thing just doesn't transfer over to RS for me.

I'm going to work on looking at them from a different angle, hopefully that helps.