Thursday, February 18, 2010

785 - The Number of the Beast

Am I the only one experiencing repeated game crashes? Roughly about 1 of 4 time I teleport to Edgeville, I log out. 2 out of every 3 deaths results in a log out. Other random actions cause me to log out and come up with an error screen. This is incredibly annoying.

It’s been a bit, I haven’t been doing too much. I got to 97 Strength. It’s been a combination of Slayer and dancing with Abby Demons, which are a lot of fun in my opinion. Also, whips are a nice bonus here and there.

Something’s up with my computer. It’s plugged in, and says charging, but when its unplugged it shuts right off. I think I need a new battery.

One incredibly new thing I’ve been doing lately is going to kill the Corporeal Beast. Which, had you asked me to go last week, I would have laughed, but one random day it seemed like a good idea. To make things even a little more character, I give you this statement: It’s not that bad.

The first time we went I think we had about 7 people. I was completely amazed. The gear and food you take is planned out pretty well. With a full inventory my max risked wealth was barely over 200k gp. I couldn’t believe it. This is far less than any other combat group trip I’ve ever taken which is considered “dangerous.” Technically, if you die after you’ve eaten most of your food, the value is even less.

The thrill of actually fighting and beating THE biggest monsters in the game is incredible. Also, the potential to split a 500M drop is pretty sweet as well.

Here’s the gear I use:
Head – Neitz helm*
Neck – Glory (Some use fury as its kept on death, but I sold mine when they were over 9.5m)
Chest – Black D’hide
Legs – Black D’hide
Cape – Soul Wars* (or skill cape, or whatever has good stats)
Weapon – Zamorakian Spear*
Hands – Combat Bracelet (don’t ask me why, just what I was told. I try not to use barrows gloves here as their high alch value gives them priority over some valuable objects when you die)
Ring – Life
Feet – Climbing Boots (+2 str, great defensive stats and incredibly cheap)

The starred ones are my 3 objects kept on death. I recommend protect item prayer as well, which keeps either your neitz helm or glory, I can’t remember.

Inventory:
Pray Pot x 2
Home tele tab
Sharks

Optional:
Super Set
Games Necklace
-I usually just take more food instead, but do what works.

No even need for expensive brews, tuna taters, rocktail or mantas. Sharks work fine. I DO recommend you having some pretty high levels for doing this, keep that in mind. You can also range, Ruby (e) bolts hit 100 max and help, but I don’t know the gear for that being not much of a ranger myself.

Now, what do you do? Hopefully you have a pretty decent team. Expect only a kill or two, consider anything more than that a bonus. This is easy enough because the wildy volcano bank isn’t far away for restocking. I use the games necklace to get there, then bank it so I can take another shark, some choose to hang onto it. Do whatever works for you.

Gather at the tunnel entrance and you’ll be praying protect magic and protect item the entire time, so set quickpray to that. Do NOT use a familiar, the beast eats them and is a waste. One person enters, gets the beast’s attention and runs out of the tunnel. That person then runs away even further from the entrance and a bit north, making the beast move away from the other side of the entrance. When he’s out of the doorway, everyone else enters and attacks.

The strategy is pretty basic. If you’ve ever fought a nomad or a jad, this will seem like cake. Spread out a bit while attacking, being careful not to get under his feet. He will literally crush you and it hurts a lot. Every now and then the beast switches targets. When he targets you, run out of the cave, trying not to go under his feet. When he switches to a new target, go back in and start hitting again. Pray on always, zamorakian spear set to ‘lunge.’ That’s it. Eat when you get hit and pray for a good drop.

There is a 'dark energy core' that comes out of the beast as well. This saps your HP. Avoid it as well. If someone can 'stun' this, it helps greatly.

I believe you have to be in the cave for lootshare to affect you, so if he’s targeting you, try to go in right as he dies. Also, if everyone runs out of the cave at the same time, he heals back to 100%, so try not to let that happen. I died a few times (immediately causing an error crash and no hope of a grave anyway), but like I said, didn’t lose much at all. I have too many sets of dhide to count from doing so many terrible clues.

I got a couple of the drops, 13 blue charms at once was nice. I got a Regen Bracelet, which I don’t really think would be useful in really any situation I can think of (When would I need to heal slightly less slowly?) so I sold that for about 450k. 150 Mahogany logs as well. That was it. Like I said, not many kills, but it was a lot of fun for the hour or so we were there.

As terrifying/stupid as it sounds, I recommend trying it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Smeck, Kasu here.

I had the same problem with the battery on my laptop. I discovered that if you use the battery a bit and then plug in the laptop, the battery will "think" that is all that's needed and will set it self from there. So you can see the cycle: Say the plug falls out, so you put it back in, the laptop battery thinks "oh start from here" and before you know it you have no battery power and it won't recharge.

I replaced my battery with a new one and have left the battery OUT of the laptop. Whenever I need it I will unplug the computer then put in the battery. Haven't had that problem since. I even wait until the battery is completely dead, then recharge all the way before unplugging.

Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Hi G

You are not alone, i have been having TONS of game crashes lately too. It is getting very annoying. I searched for an update for my video card driver and it found one, installed the update and haven't had a game crash yet in the two hours or so since the driver update. Hope this is the answer.

Up the irons!

Lnbo

G said...

Good idea Kasu. I'll order a new one and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Lnbo, its really annoying! I got the game error constantly while playing Soul Wars. All I want is 7 zeal! Always with like 2 mins left too. I'll try to do what you did. Thanks!