Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Recap

Ok, So I finally beat Nomad. I’m usually pretty calm and cool at boss fights, which is something that has probably saved me countless times. Fighting this guy many, many times definitely helps. For about 4 straight attempts I got him to beserker mode before running out of pots and dying. It was until I had him down pretty low, with some pots left that the nerves finally kicked in. The last couple sips were done with a shaky finger. Why’s it always seem that when the bad guy’s hp bar is almost completely red, that’s when you make hits like 0-0-0-5-0-0-8-0 etc?

Here’s my gear:
Head: Neitz
Neck: Amulet of Ranging (shark tooth looking one)
Chest: Arma plate
Hands: Barrow gloves
Quiver: Ruby (e) bolts
Weapon: BGS
Legs: Black D’hide
Feet: Ranger boots
Finger: Archer’s ring

Inv:
Dragon Sq shield and Rune C’bow. 12 Super Restores, the rest Sara Brews along with a turtle full of Saras. The one thing different in my gear that I changed from all my failing attempts was wear a Neitz helm instead of my Sara Coif and use dragon square shield instead of my crystal shield (which was then down to 1/10)

Stats:
90 ATK
96 STR
90 DEF
93 HP
83 RANGE
81 PRAYER
80 SUMMONING

Before I’d go, while still at Soul Wars bank, I’d take a sip of super def/atk/str as well as a range pot. Put them back in the bank and grab the brews. I’d pray piety when I entered. For this run, I also prayed protect from magic and eagle eye the entire time. I know he hits through prayer and everyone says its useless to pray protection prayer, but if it maybe stopped 1 or 2 hits, then its worth it. I’m not experienced enough with curses to really know what I’m doing with them.

Ok, all potted up and piety on and first hit – whack him with a BGS special to lower his def. Eagle eye on and start shooting arrows. For the third straight time I was able to hit him over 35 with the BGS special and have it go immediately into a 75 Ruby (e) hit. That’s where I think the potting up helps. The brews knock that all out of whack when you start healing, but its worth it to start off well.

Other than that, just keep hitting him with the arrows. Once the first mine would hit the floor, I run immediately straight south about 5 spots, then west towards behind the pillar. The pillar is 2x2 spot, you want to be on the west side of the southern part. Heal, restore. When he says ‘face me’ run out and shoot him. When he charges up for his 75 hit, get back in the same pillar place, he won’t hit you. Come out from the pillar and fight him again on ‘face me.’ When he multiplies, hit the last one he attacks. Go back to the pillar spot, heal, again coming out on ‘face me.’ When he teleports you to the middle, heal up over your max hp, as he hits you for max-1. You can still shoot him while you’re frozen. I use this frozen time to cycle out the empty vials and ‘take bob’ as well. After he hits you, heal up again, stay put and attack.

This is where my first few runs went awry. It’s tempting that when you’re finally unfrozen, to run back to the pillar spot. DON’T! Stay and fight him head on. Wait for the mines to start dropping again, THEN run to the pillar. Again, run directly south about 5 spaces, THEN over. The issue is, if you run to the pillar when immediately unfrozen, the mines are dropped around the pillar and you, making it very confusing and difficult to move, especially when he duplicates.

Keep doing this and hoping, still praying eagle eye and pro mage. Make sure you hit him when he says ‘face me’ or he’ll totally heal which, from experience, completely sucks. When you get him down to 25%, he heals back up to 50%. When you get him back down to 25% again, he doesn’t like it and gets pretty ticked off. This is where he starts hitting you repeatedly fast.

Come out from behind the pillar, if that’s where you’re at. This is where I had an issue once or twice too. I would hit ‘attack nomad’ after he says his little beserker mode saying and my character would get held up on the pillar, still shooting him with arrows, and he’d tele and heal. This bites because I was only 2 squares away AND I was certainly attacking him. So, when he says his thing, be sure to run out and face him openly.

Turn on protect from melee (have it set on quick pray, might help), shoot him, sip saras, sip restores, and.. well… hope. The turtle helps too, he gets in his hits as well throughout the fight.

That’s what worked for me. I’m sure there are other ways, but that’s what I did. I know people who used Rocktails but they have higher def and range than I do. There’s also the issue of actually eating it. When you go to eat a fish, you stop and eat a fish. When you take a sip of a pot (brew), you continue shooting. This makes up for having to take a sip of a restore, where you again, continue shooting. I made 3-4 runs using rocktail and even a combination of rocktail/brew/restores and would get no where near where I would using only brews/restores. Again, just something that worked for me. Where to stand, when to run behind the pillar, etc was taken from what Buzzed27 told me to do. I mixed up the gear a bit and some other things. (I found my own little niche with the super set sips and piety for the bgs whack at the beginning).

Main thing is, keep trying, don’t get frustrated (easier said than done, I know) and find out what’s working best for you. I hope some of this helps at least someone.

No comments: