Thursday, July 10, 2008

40,000 Men and Women Everyday

Death and taxes, they're unavoidable. At least Runescape doesn't have sales tax and the G.E. is more like the airport's duty free shop. Death on the other hand, happens. Over the past four or so years, I've died a lot on RS. I hate it. I was never into clans or PK before, and I'm still not a big fan of PK. I wasn't into the competitiveness of trying to prove I'm better than somone by puffing out my chest and trying to defeat them in battle. I'd much rather have a relaxing conversation next to the ol' fishing hole. My thoughts on clans have changed a lot recently.

About 6 or so months ago a friend asked me to join a clan. It was just a few people I already new and was brand new. I kind of like to do my own thing in game. I expressed that I really tried to shy away from anything that I'd be forced to do. I don't mind attending some things, but one day your mood can be different and you feel like working on something else. I didn't want to tie myself down. I was assured I wouldn't have to do anything I wouldn't want to do, and decided to join.

That was a great decision. So many new things to try that I never did. I never knew if you had a group that KBD was basically harmless. I never knew how much fun Trawler was. I was being shown new ways to train skills I had previously avoided. New music was opening up everywhere. My association of clans with pk and being solely cb based was terribly wrong.

The other night a few friends and I decide to make a quick KBD run. We had 4, it would be no problem. We get there to see a bunch of other people. We manage to get a kill, but I'm a little impatient so I decide to hop to see if there's another empty world available. I ran to the corner as to not "wake up" under the dragon itself. As the clock to world hop finally hits 0, I found myself under the dragon (must have gotten bored and started wandering around) and dead withina few seconds. The world was empty, I called to my friends and they promptly got there to bless my grave. I run to the fally bank, grab a games and tele to BH. I make the run from BH bank to the wildy tele obelisk and activate it. Level 13. Level 18. Level 23. Wby does this thing never go where I want it to? Try it again. World 50. And there it is. That sound. That sound I despise more than anything in RS. A rev is attacking. More appropriately, revS. Plural.

Needless to say I'm frozen, and taking damage. Then there it is, a change of scenery. Central Falador. With a PM stating, "what happened to your grave? it disappeared." I have to do the walk of shame to fally bank again. My friends dash to bless my second grave, losing all the items from my first death (nothing major, just a bunch of p pots). Then it happens again, friends death. I think the thing I hate the most about death is the hour or so of errands for getting all the quest items back. Mass blessings and graves everywhere. How quickly a little clan field trip can turn into a disaster.

No comments: