Monday, July 28, 2008

Even Old New York Was Once New Amsterdam

When the motivation strikes, you have to seize it. I wanted to get a lot accomplished this weekend and got to do just that. I had nothing planned in real life aside from a BBQ and a couple runs to stay in shape, but with as hectic as the last two weeks have been, I just wanted to relax, play a little RS and watch some movies. I've mentioned before that I'm not a big quester. I kind of hate the back and forth-ness of it. Plus my uncanny ability to die in the oddest of situations doesn't sit well. However, as quest after quest is released, I keep falling more and more behind. So I set out to play a little catch up. I was sick of not being able to use Chivalry, so I completed Holy Grail and Kings Ransom as well as defeating all the knights. Someone had mentioned maybe a clan Trouble Brewing trip, plus I wanted the Holy Wrench so I cranked out Rum Deal and Cabin Fever. Tribal Totem and Monk's Friend seemed easy so I got those done. I can't believe I haven't done Big Chompy Bird Hunting so I did that along with Zogre Flesh Eaters (love the name, I'm a huge Fulci fan :P). Grim Tales seemed pretty cool so I did that. I can always use another place to bank so Contact! was interesting (and a little nerve racking at the end, it was the closest I came to death out of them all). And to round it out, Perils of Ice Mountain and Another Slice of H.A.M.

So there you have it 12 quests in a weekend to get me up to 204 QP. Not bad for a reluctant quester. I thought this would come in handy at Tears, but I left with a measly 55. Again. I must be terrible at that. All those quests got me some decent levels. Most notably, 71 Farming, 106 CB, 60 Agility, 62 Thieving. I finally got Summoning up to 60, costing me a pretty penny. Not a money drain, Jagex? Tell that to my wallet... Oh well, I've been doing a lot of herb runs lately, they're worth a bunch. However, I can't bring myself to sell them. I know I'll need them at some point and xp is always worth more than cash for me.

A friend came up with a pretty amusing way to measure Total Levels last night. I pretty much loved it because it instantly brought up memories of long hours of playing Civiliation. Thinking of Total Levels as the year is highly amusing. While my higher level friends are about to embark on The Great War (note - its not WW I yet), I have just renamed Neiuw Amsterdam - New York, the Ottoman Empire will be defeated in a number of days and Louis XIV is starting up the French East India Company.

This made me reflect on my earlier days as a player. Since you start off early AD, I didn't have to invent the wheel or wait for Prometheus to make his daily fire run to Zeus's house so that I can cook my mantas. Instead I've seen the discovery of new worlds, empires rise and fall, medicine make incredible leaps and bounds, the religious persecute and be persecuted, the scientists persecute and be persecuted, the heavens studied, wars fought and generations come and go. In 1664, I've seen a bunch. There is also a long way to go. Now if I can only somehow making it to 2100 without starting Global Thermonuclear War like I always do in Civilization, then we'll be making progress, my friend.

No comments: