Monday, July 14, 2008

Strikes & Gutters, Ups & Downs

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to which skills to train. I got my 99 fishing while others I know hate to spend even an hour doing it. It came easy for me, and I think I've come to realize why. Fishing, like Cooking, can be a very social skill. It can be repetitive, which inspires the people in Rogue's Den, Piscatoris, The Fishing Guild, Catherby or Cooking Guild Bank to interact with each other. Training skills like Mining and Woodcutting are brutal for me to do.

I think I'm a pretty laid back person, in game and in real life. Skills which insipre competition tend to drive me a little nuts. I can be chopping Willows, or mining some ore, get into a good groove and then it happens. All of a sudden someone came up and jumped right in front of you without a word and now you're out of luck. This happened to me the other day at Steel Dragons (on my neverending quest for a dragon face). All of a sudden jumps right in front of you, then when you try to explain to them that you've been there for about 2 hours now, you're greeted with nothing but rude insults and it quickly goes downhill from there. This also seems to be a pretty constant issue when there's two or more groups at KBD.

I try to think about RS thing in RL. It'd be like going grocery shopping and right in the middle you pause to look at your list and the next thing you know someone has taken your cart and are down the aisle. Or getting your card out to use the atm while someone quickly jumps between you and the machine. The amount of rude obnoxious people playing seems to be growing, as is expected as a game grows as much as this have. I just hate to see this behavior, which I guess is why I always liked Fishing. There's plenty of room for everyone. Bring your friends, the more the merrier.

On the other side, after finally securing a Steel all to myself, I get some kills and feel a little comfortable. I leave the monitor for a few seconds to check on some commotion in the other room. When I get back I see that my antifire has run out and I'm incredibly low on HP. I fumble to try and get my inventory screen up, but not being used to the new mode yet (in panic situations) and ultimately die. I run to Fally bank, get a home tele (my house is in Brimhaven, I should be able to get back to my grave in the five minutes) and am off on my way. After chopping the first vines into the dungeon, I notice someone blessed my grave. None of my friends are in this world, who is this person? I send a quick PM stating my appreciation and thanks and that I was running back. I reclaim all my belongings, and he's standing there. Says its no problem. I lost the majority of my Dragon Bones when my Terrorbird died, but I'll deal with that. He refuses compensation at first, but I insist. I trade him a few D-Bones and the rest of the limit in cash. He then goes on his way and me on mine. I'll continue to deal with the obnoxious and rude players if for every 5 of them we gain, we gain 1 good one. There's still good people who play.

Make someone's day, do a good deed every now and then :)

No comments: