Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Some Notes & Background

I realize I started this blog and hit the ground running with no real info about why I started it or as to what my experience with Runescape even is. I'm just going to take a couple sentences and address these things and will be back for a proper post later on.

I started playing RS in late 2003 and played for only about 8-10 months. I didn't really do that much aside from F2P quests, wander around and keep myself amused. Around August 2004 I stopped playing, too many things going on in life. Flash forward 2 years. I have some free time, am looking for an interesting game to play and I thought I might as well try to log back into RS.

It worked. "Your last log on was 635 days ago." Wow. After all this time, you still remember me. And look! I vaguely recognize some of those things in my bank. Some things were different. There were a few new skills, Construction, Hunter and I didn't remember Farming, but could be I just didn't notice it. I decided I might as well get my two highest skills up, Fishing and Cooking. So thats what I did. I kept to myself, as I did when I played before. I just fished and cooked. It probably wasn't until I was in the Fishing Guild when I started seeing the same people over and over, always in the same worlds. We talked and became friends. Their shock would put me on edge when I said I had about 600 total levels and about 50qp. None of that stuff ever mattered to me until I was shown everything I was missing out on. Everyone was migrating to Piscatoris and I looked at the list of requirements like it was a mile long. I needed 19 Mage levels?? This quest so I can do this quest so I can do that quest because I need it for this quest?! So I went out, I worked my tail off. I quested, I leveled, I ran all over RS getting the items we need. When I finally got all the reqs (seemingly FOREVER later). I try to start it and.... No. I overlooked one thing. 100 qp. What did I have? 73. Expletive!

So I herded sheep, I hid from the witch, I don't even know what else I did, but when I finally got there, I couldn't express how accomplished I felt. This is what I had been missing out on. Pretty much since then I've been trying to follow that feeling. Got the diaries done, can't wait for a new one to make me train Herblore (which I hate, but will probably grow to like similar to Farming and Smithing). Got my Skillcape. I love going to group activities and pretty much exploring every section of the game. Although, the fisherman in me is partial to Trawler :P

As to why I started this blog: When I first came to the realization that I wasn't the only adult playing the game, I felt.. vindicated. I could engage in conversations that extended beyond the realms of middle school/high school plight. As my obsession for the game grew, I started to look outside the game itself for insight into it. I came across a few amazingly thought up articles about everything from the sociodynamics of the game to the impact of what certain items/events have on its economy. I also just loved hearing people talk about their accomplishments, their thoughts, their lives, in an intelligent way. At first all I would come across were tips/guides (which are all well and good for the game, just not so much interesting reading), websites who RWT for gold/items and some various blogs with about one or two entries that were abandoned years ago. For me, these thoughtful sites were the light at the end of the tunnel.

However, then I noticed with a lot of the RS changes, changes in real life, etc., the authors of these articles would leave too. There only seemed to be a handful left. I thought I might just start this one, which a lot might not read, but maybe a couple will and like it the way I anonymously liked all those others for so long. A place where I could just put my random thoughts and maybe someone will be amused or find something helpful. So to you handful of readers, thanks for stopping by. And please, stop by often :)

Update: I'm relatively new to the whole blogging thing so bare with me. I just noticed the comments were restricted, this is no longer. And also if there's anything else I can change, please feel free to leave me some suggestions. Although, be prepared to give me a little advice, outside of typing this and playing RS, I'm not that hot with computers :P

1 comment:

Vaskor said...

If you haven't yet done so, I would recommend you to enable Google Analytics for your blog. You'll be able to see from where users come to you, which keywords work the best etc. Tons of good info. Good luck!