Monday, July 7, 2008

A Great Time to be a RS Player

The new graphics were finally released last week and I can't get over how amazing they look. I've been slowly exploring everything I can, wandering around with an amazement much like that of a 5 year old on his very first trip to Disneyworld. I love the full screen mode, it makes switching back to the old version to cut some lag that much harder to do. I went to kill a load of steels (in hopes for a dragon face drop) and loved the detail of the scales on the metal dragons. The brimhaven dungeon looks incredible.

Enough gushing. The July BTS also just came out. There are two things mentioned in there that almost has me giddy. The new searchable/tabbed bank and finally, after months of thought and practically begging on the forums, a new achievement diary. I loved the motivation the other two diaries gave me. I had never really trained farming, but the thought of being able to cook in the nice quiet cooking guild and never have to be surrounded by the loud (and frequently rude) people at Rogue's Den, got me to bust my tail on it. I pretty much grew to love the skill. It was easier xp-wise when I bought my seeds, but I hate paying for things I can get on my own. Also, the limitless Shiloh teleport was a good motivation to train cb, being that I'm more fond of skilling, this was a tough one for me. Also, I'm not that much into quests, and that Varrock Museum made me do many that I probably would have avoided altogether.

Sadly, its just an easy/medium diary, but at the same time I'm glad its for Lumby. Had they created an easy diary for a somewhat more interesting place (Relleka, Seers or maybe Mortyania) I would have been a little disappointed.

I'm almost drooling at the thought of being able to get up and join friends in whatever they're doing instead of holding them up because I'm staring at my bankspace because I'm a pack rat and I can't seem to find the items I need. Ever. I'm already thinking of what my tabs will be. I can see it now: runes over here, seeds over there, armor in that corner, and quest items I think I'll need so I'll never throw out, but will never use anyway in the far back corner.

Unlike a lot of people on the forums, I've really enjoyed Runescape's updates of the past year. I hated the luring (almost dishonest) of the pkers and am glad to see them go. Now when I have a clue that leads me deep in the wildy, I actually usually do it, instead of dropping it. They made the changes they had to in order to get rid of RWT and they took a lot of flack. I think they did what was needed to save their game, albeit how unpopular the decision was.

A lot of people were pretty upset upon the release of the GE, which up until RS HD, was my favorite update. The thought of being able to spend my time playing the game, opposed to standing in the bank for hours screaming on deaf ears about what I'm selling had me almost ecstatic.

With change there is always going to be opposition. Some hate the graphical updates as much as the removal as PK. However, I welcome it. The game is a character of its own, which needs to grow and mature over time, as well as face difficult decisions. While some might not be enjoyable now, perhaps you can see the benefit down the line a little. The game is changing, it needs to be changing, but lets enjoy it. It is a game after all :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, nice blog.

I thought you might be interested in trading links:

http://www.rshaven.com/runescape-blog-website-link-exchange/