Friday, September 5, 2008

Walk on the Wild Side

Ventured into the Wildy yesterday to do a little star hunting with a group. I was checking out the lower level mining areas and in the time waiting I came across a Rev Dragon, four Rev Orks, and two Rev Knights. There’s nothing that rings in my head with such fear/aggravation as that dreaded sound of a Rev attacking you. I was pretty prepared to die, wielding only my pickaxe, Forinthy Bracelet and Ectophial so I wasn’t worried. I ended up getting away, but it was annoying nonetheless.

Word came from a friend that the star had fallen just outside of the Mage Bank in the level 55 Wildy, and it was level 9. I teled quick to Ardy and went over to use the lever to be put right smack in the middle of another two Rev Orks. They must up the Rev count when there’s something going on out there, I’m convinced. After waiting a bit, I figured I’ll just run past them, which worked out quite well. I ran up to the bank, saw about four or five green dotties and a star larger than my character. We were waiting on someone’s friend who had 90 Mining so we could start in on it. I had to wait to level 6 to start gathering dust, which took a while and was a definite reminder that I really need to train Mining more. While waiting, two more Rev Knights and a Hobgoblin started attacking some of the people who had gathered. That’s when it happened. Some scattered into the bank, would come back to check and get attacked again. There were some low level players there as well who didn’t stand much of a shot if a Rev attacked them. The Knights would leave them be, but a Hobgoblin isn’t above attacking a level 14. I had grabbed my Rune Scimmy in Ardy so I could slash through the webs at the lever. I proposed the idea of maybe fighting the Revs, something I never would have done had there not been about 30 people there. They couldn’t kill all of us, right? Some high level cb players took to the Knights, taking turns attacking when one would get low on health. I still had to wait around for the star to get to level 6 and wasn’t just going to stand around so I took to the Hobgoblin with just my Rune Scimmy, and no armor. I had grabbed a couple sharks before just in case, but I wasn’t going to risk anything more than that. I got it down pretty low several times, always within a hit of death it would heal itself. Just as I had it about to be killed, it froze me. That’s when a friend came over to deal it its final blow. There had been one casualty, a player who was just wandering by, with no real items on who was curious as to what we were doing. His grave was blessed just in case.

We went back and mined away, filling up on stardust when it hit me. Did that really just happen? Did we just all cooperate to protect strangers and bless a grave in the Wilderness?! A place where you would run if you saw a group of white dots approaching? A place of deception and doing anything you can to kill another player and take everything they have? We’ve come a long way in the past year and I kind of liked it. Soon pvp will come back, people will be luring and deceiving others to certain worlds or areas with their friends waiting to pile on and attack the defenseless to take their items, but there for that one moment of clarity, the Wildy seemed like a decent place.

No comments: